The Social Studies Place

Monday, March 24, 2008

Hurray for Sping Break!

I'm sure you are enjoying a well deserved break from school right now. I know I sure noticed that both teachers and students needed a break from each other. The only problem I have with this's year break is how early it is. Part of me says, who cares take the break when you get it but a voice in the back of my head says watch out. The next few months will be hell.

Here's what a High School Teacher in Alberta has to look forward to between April 1 and the Victoria Day longweekend:

  1. Registration for next year-We have to help the kids choose their courses for next year. At our school this is done in the Social Studies classes. So there goes at least of couple of classes.
  2. Surveys- We have to administer 3 seperate online surveys to our Grade 10's. These come from different government and district levels. Again there goes another class period or two to complete these.
  3. Spring Fever- The snow will soon be gone. With the arrival of spring we often see the departure of student interest in school. It becomes increasingly difficult to motivate students to concentrate on their studies.
  4. School Trips-Band, France, Italy, Germany... We have student groups travelling all over the place. In some cases you could be missing substantial numbers of students. Just another disruption to deal with.

Well at least it's not -50 below anymore.

Enjoy your break. I know I will. I'm going skiing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home